I came across Nakd cocoa orange bars a few weeks ago in the ‘free from’ aisle at the supermarket. They are 100% vegan, gluten free, wheat free and dairy free claiming to contain one serve of your 5 a day (this is the UK market meaning 1 serve of fruit coming from the dried fruit component – Aussies it’s still 7 a day!). Made from only 5 ingredients – dates, cashews, raisins, cocoa and a hint of orange they are quick and easy to make them at home.
Nakd bars have minimal ingredients so are pretty easy to replicate. In my nearby supermarket these bars sell at £0.75 for 1 or £1.00 for two (about £14 per kilo), so making them yourself is much cheaper. I tend to use almonds instead of cashews because I think they have a more neutral taste, but it works just as well with cashews. They can be pressed or rolled into any shape you like.
- ¼ cup dates
- ¼ cup raw almonds/almond meal
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp sultanas
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- Coursely ground peel of ½ orange
- 1-2 tsp boiling water (optional)*
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor/food chopper and blend until finely ground and blended.
- Split into 6 equal portions and press each portion into a cling-film lined ramekin (or similar) to make a circular shape.
- Wrap in cling film and store in an airtight container until consumed.
- *If the mixture isn't binding together, add 1-2 tsp of boiling water and blend together before separating into portions
Give it a shot, let me know what you think!!
Not a fan of choc orange? Try my other Nakd bar recipes: