One of my favourite snacks back in Australia were chicnuts – roasted chickpeas in a jar in a few different flavours. Absolutely delicious and nutritious, roasted chickpeas are high in protein to keep you full containing much less energy and fat than peanuts or other nuts.
Recently I cooked up some dried chickpeas and thought I’d try my hand at making my own chicknuts. These are seriously crunchy and so easy to make!! I made mine spicy with plenty of tasty spices but they can be cooked with just oil and a bit of salt and pepper if you prefer a plain taste and flavour.
- 2½ cups cooked chickpeas (1 cup dried)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- juice ½ lemon
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 160•C
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl
- Spread mixture onto baking paper lined baking trays
- Bake until dry and crunchy, stirring every 15 minutes. Takes approximately 1 hour
- Store in an airtight container. Remains crunchy for at least 2 weeks