Last weekend I managed to finally make it to the Liverpool Farmers Markets…. I’ve only just been living here for about 3 years! It was great getting to look around the different fruit and vegetable, bakery, meat, cheese and cake stalls displaying fresh quality local produce. If the weather hadn’t been so dire I might have hung around longer and picked up much more! While braving the cold, rain and wind, this pretty purple vegetable caught my eye. Purple sprouting broccoli it’s called, or PSB for short. I’d never heard of it, let alone tried it before so picked up a large bunch to give it a taste.
What is purple sprouting broccoli?
Purple sprouting broccoli is the fancy cousin of the common broccoli that is only available for a very short period of time at the end of winter and beginning of spring. PSB is much more fragile than normal broccoli so requires much less cooking in order to retain its nutrients.
Purple sprouting broccoli tastes pretty much exactly the same as it’s boring green cousin, just a touch sweeter perhaps. I steamed mine lightly and served it beside some tasty jambalaya which you’ll be hearing about shortly!
Rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C, PSB is very susceptible to cooking and temperature. Boiling for just 5 minutes can more than halve the antioxidant activity and Vitamin C content. For optimum nutrition its best to lightly steam or microwave for a few minutes only.
Have you tried purple sprouting broccoli?
Sprouting Broccoli Recipes
- Asian style garlic stir-fried purple sprouting broccoli – Fusion Living
- Creamy pasta with purple sprouting broccoli – Comfort Bites
- Purple sprouting broccoli and wensleydale tarts – Delicious Magazine
- Purple sprouting broccoli with roasted feta cheese – Well Hung Food
- Sticky ginger beef and purple sprouting broccoli – Delicious Magazine
- Purple sprouting broccoli stirfry – Food Lover Magazine
- Chickpea, mushroom and purple sprouting broccoli curry – Multiculti Kitchen