This spicy butternut squash soup recipe was inspired from a Patagonian squash soup I tried last week at Kendal Mountain Festival. Using dried chipotle chillies for a smoky spice kick and red lentils for protein, this soup will warm you up in the cooler months. It’s suitable for anyone who is vegetarian, vegan or gluten free.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- Butternut squash, peeled & chopped
- 2 dried chipotle chillies
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 long red pepper/capsicum, chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp coriander powder (or 3 tsp coriander seeds, crushed in a mortar & pestle)
- ¾ cup red lentils
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened.
- Add in the butternut squash and cook for 5 minutes to allow the edges to brown slightly, stirring regularly to avoid burning.
- While the butternut squash is cooking, chop the dried chipotle chillies into small strips and rehydrate in boiling water for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the rehydrated chillies (with the chilli water) and red pepper into the saucepan and add enough water to cover all the vegetables.
- Mix in the stock cube, paprika, coriander powder and lentils and allow to cook on simmer, stirring regularly to avoid burning.
- Once the butternut squash and lentils are soft, puree with a stick blender until smooth. Add additional water as required to achieve desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.