With the weekend coming up and the sun still shining it continues to be perfect BBQ season. Snacking tends to be prolific at BBQs with chips and dips often on the menu which are high in fat and calories. Here is a quick and easy homemade hummus recipe ready to a BBQ that will not only taste better but be better for you. Perfect served with homemade tortilla chips!
Hummus is high in protein but the supermarket versions can contain a lot of oil and extra ingredients that you may not want to be there. Making it yourself is quick easy and cheap – especially if you soak and cook your own chickpeas!
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (200g)
- 1 Tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a food processer or blender and mix until a smooth consistency
- Add small amounts of water or additional oil as required to get desired consistency
- Store in the fridge and it will last about 3 days
Perfect paired with some homemade tortilla chips!!