With tomorrow being Australia Day I wanted to make something patriotic. A BBQ would be great but I don’t think the weather will be on my side! So I decided to make some gluten free lamingtons, a sweet treat that always reminds me of home. I find that lamingtons always seem to taste the best on the second or third day – if they manage to last that long!
I made mine gluten free by making a sponge cake using Glutafin gluten free multipurpose mix, but any recipe for a light butter or sponge cake will do (or even a pre-made cake if you’re not much of a baker). Don’t waste the cake edges either, serve them with chopped banana and custard with a little coconut sprinkled on top. Yum!
- 225g Glutafin gluten free select multipurpose mix
- 170g soft butter
- 170g castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1½ cups gluten free icing sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp soft butter
- ½ cup boiling water
- Desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven (fan) to 160 degrees Celsius, line a square or rectangular cake tin with baking paper and dust with a little mix.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl using a hand mixer for two minutes until smooth.
- Pour cake mix into prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until top springs back lightly when touched.
- Turn oven off, open door and allow to cool down for 5-10 minutes before removing from the oven.
- Remove cake from tin and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using a serated bread knife, cut the edges, top and bottom off the cake.
- Cut into squares of desired size.
- Mix icing sugar, cocoa powder, butter and boiling water together to make a thin chocolate icing.
- Pour a cupful of coconut into a bowl.
- Take a cake square, dip it in the chocolate icing mixture until completely covered, allow excess icing to drop off and then roll in coconut.
- Repeat step 10 until all lamingtons are complete.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy.
Happy Australia Day!
*I worked for Dr Schär who manufacture Glutafin gluten free products at the time when this post was written. I received the Glutafin multipurpose mix used in this recipe free of charge but was not compensated in any other way for creating or sharing this recipe. Please see my disclosure policy for further details.