No need to buy sports nutrition bars, it’s easy to make your own. Packed with healthy fats, carbohydrate and protein, these moreish protein energy balls are a quick and easy way to stay energised while on the bike, or as a boost after any sporting activities.
I first made these tasty energy balls a few months ago, using them to fuel my bike leg for Rubicon 70.3 triathlon. Today I put them to the taste test with a few of my cycling buddies. Their big smiles of approval was all the confirmation I needed to know that they were worth sharing!
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 scoops (50g) unflavoured protein powder
- ⅔ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1-2 Tbsp water (as required)
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl
- Mix the peanut butter and honey together
- Combine both dry and wet ingredients well.
- Add water a few drops at a time as required to bind all ingredients together to form a stiff dough
- Roll spoonfuls of the mixture between your hands to form balls
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for a week.
The number of balls this recipe makes depends on how big you want them to be. I find that making smaller bite-sized balls works best for me to allow them to be quickly consumed while out doing long rides on my bike. The smaller they are, the less chewing required!